Truckee River Day
21st Annual Truckee River Day - October 16, 2016
THANK YOU to our Truckee River Day volunteers!
Thank you to everyone for your support of the 21st Annual Truckee River Day! Special thanks to those who braved the weather. October 16th was one of the more difficult days to leave the house let alone work in the rain, wind, and mud to help restore our watershed. To those of you who could not make it out, we hope to see you next year!
175 volunteers completed restoration work at 9 sites this year. We spread native seed, improved eroding trails, mulched sensitive areas, and more. Watch for our newsletter in the coming weeks for photos and results.
I'm sure the challenging conditions made for some good stories. We'd love to hear them! If you have photos or stories to share, please do!
Thank you to Our 2016 Partners* and Funders
- *The fabulous Group Leaders
- *The fantastic Truckee River Day Steering Committee
- Donors to the Truckee River Watershed Council
- Clif Bar
- EpicPromise/Northstar California
- *Friends of Squaw Creek
- Habitat Restoration Services
- *Sierra Watershed Education Partnerships
- *Sugar Pine Foundation
- *Tahoe Donner Association
- *Trout Unlimited
- Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce
- *Truckee Donner Land Trust
- Truckee Tahoe Airport District
- *Truckee Trails Foundation
- *U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- *U.S.F.S. Tahoe National Forest
22nd Annual Truckee River Day - October 15, 2017
Truckee River Day will happen rain, or shine!
Restoration Projects and River Fair
Join us next year for a day of river, meadow and wetland restoration. You will be near streams and meadows, working side-by-side with other volunteers to plant restoration sites with seedlings and willows, remove invasive vegetation, compost and mulch sensitive areas, remove garbage and more. Projects start at either 9:00 a.m. or 11:00am and end between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.
Registration is required and will open approximately one month before Truckee River Day. Check back then for more details!
Through the registration process, you will be able to let us know your project preferences and whether or not you are part of a group. We will do our best to meet your preferences, but ask you to be flexible. In the week before Truckee River Day, we will contact you and tell you about your project - the work you will be doing, where you will meet, and what you need to wear and bring.
Truckee River Day started in 1996. 400 volunteers came to lend a hand and completed 10 projects. Since that first year, thousands of volunteers have participated in dozens of restoration projects. We look forward to seeing you this year.
River Fair starting at 1:00pm
Join us at Granite Flat Campground for the River Fair to celebrate the Truckee River!
- Granite Flat is on Highway 89 South, approximately 1 mile souh of Truckee.
- Family-friendly ~ live music and entertainment ~ environmental education activities ~ art projects
- Lahontan Cutthroat Trout release at 3:00pm!